Thursday 31 October 2013

If You Can't Meet Them, Read them!

I have completely exhausted my mother with stories of Gertrude Stein, the 20's, 30's, 40's, and Europe. And when you exhaust one outlet, what do you do? You find another! So here I am.

It is fair to say that I am living in the now but dreaming of the early-mid 1900's. I am Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris. But do not fret! I have a solution. Here is what we are going to do. We are going to build a time machine and then we are going to hope right onto this beautiful piece of machinery and make it in time to have dinner with Stein and Matisse on the rue de Fleurus. I mean, if Stewie Griffin can build one, why can't I? Then, on the way back, perhaps we can enjoy a Ballet Russes, conceived by Diaghilev, decorated by Picasso, and dressed by Chanel. Like seriously! Am I the only one that finds it incredibly unfair that we missed this era?!? My awe and infatuation is seriously turning into plain old bitterness. 

I love history, fashion, and art and lately, everything that I have been reading has revolved around these three subjects and I am loving it! I’m just going to go through one today. If I discuss more than one in one blog, I have this fear that you may return.

Side note: I get VERY attached to books. I am disgustingly obsessed with Europe, especially Paris and the South of France at the moment. But, I think I am in love with what they used to be and not necessarily what they are today. Although, that does not mean that they are not beyond exceptional today. They are just different. They lack the life and emotion that exuded from them when art, literature, and fashion were conceived by the geniuses that lived there and expressed in countless books, on plenty of canvases, and listened to through beautiful gramophones. These revolutionaries thrived on the simple things in life. They lived for friendships, love, and adventure. 

Sleeping with the Enemy, Coco Chanel's Secret War - Hal Vaughan

This book was mind blowing! If you haven't read it, I seriously recommend that you do especially if you enjoy learning about WW2. It encompasses everything! Incredibly engaging from beginning to end.  

To begin, Coco Chanel was a Nazi. Yup! Safe to say that that was quite the disappointment. At that point in history, I would assume many people shared her anti-Semitic views however, not many jumped at the chance to collaborate with Nazis. Not that they shine in a better light, a racist is a racist. However, what I do not understand is why anti-Semitism still runs through the veins of the fashion industry today. Take Galliano for example, he's a charmer wouldn't you say? Gotta love such thoroughly expressive assholes. Although Dior had done the right thing and suspended him, I’m sure he is fairly cozy shacked up with Oscar De La Renta nowadays. And by Oscar de la Renta, I mean the fashion house, not the man himself. But I digress. Back to Chanel. After reading the book, I am just in awe about how clueless people are. Actually, I'm not in awe of their ignorance, I'm mostly in awe of the sheer quantity of individuals who possess this blatant ignorance.

Sure, Coco Chanel was a creative genius. She did a great deal for fashion in her day and her legacy lives on today. In fact, she basically set the precedent for the little black dress, suits for women, jersey fabrics for women's daily wear, and costume jewelry. She broke through many of the expectations and customs of the day. However, it should also be noted that she accomplished everything that she had not because she was a brilliant businesswoman, but because she had many rich and powerful lovers. This, as one would assume, can really help a young gal out! And it did. Unfortunately, her anti-Semitism worsened over the years, as did her use of morphine injections. Her collaboration with the Nazi's was a personal choice. Her betrayal of her country was a personal choice and interestingly enough people do not care. But why not? If we're quoting every completely empty and pathetic thing she has ever said such as, "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Really Chanel? Really? Maybe that is why her first perfume Chanel 5 did so well during some of the hardest financial times in history. Maybe everyone was desperately seeking a future than can only be guaranteed by a bottle of Chanel perfume. Maybe. But probably not. How about "A woman should be two things, classy and fabulous''? I swear, i think this quote is reposted on social media more often that the rate of babies being born. Now, don't quote me on this, but I think a woman should be a few more things. Just a few. BUT, as I was saying, if we are quoting these lovely perils of wisdom, why are we not focusing on the other things she said and did that were not so neutral? Do people truly not care? When millions of Parisians were starving on the street, Chanel and her Nazi companions had no problem dining on the finest delicacies and wines at the Ritz Carlton in Paris. I understand that war is a complicated time and, inevitably, there will be those that fair well and those that do not but, she was French and Paris was her life. If that does not tell you everything about her character, than I do not what will.

Coco Chanel may have been a creative genius that dressed impeccably and built an empire, but she was neither classy nor fabulous. She was, what you would call a social climber and once she got to the top all that was left was a lonely traitor. The only thing that leaves me satisfied is knowing that she lost her company to a Jewish family. If she lost her company to anyone else, I'd be satisfied quite frankly, but the fact that it so happens to be a Jewish family is really just icing on the delicious Chanel cake.


So classy. SO Fabulous.


No comments:

Post a Comment